GERMANY: Red Bull sued over packaging patent
Red Bull's German division and packaging supplier Alpla Werke Alwin Lehner are being sued by world PET plastics giant M&G Group over an alleged patent infringement.
M&G subsidiary Cobarr has filed a lawsuit against the energy drink maker and its supplier, accusing them of using materials that infringe one of its German patents.
A judge has refused Alpla's request for the case to be dropped, according to Cobarr.
Italy-based M&G said yesterday (2 April) on Cobarr's behalf: "The M&G Group feels that as a pioneer to many patented aspects of the barrier solutions now being offered in the market, the market needs to respect M&G's contribution."
Red Bull Germany and Alpla have until 2 June to submit their responses to a German court. Cobarr will then have until 2 November to file its response, with an oral court hearing scheduled for 28 January 2010.
A spokesperson for Red Bull at its global headquarters in Austria could not be reached for comment this morning (3 April).
Environmental concerns over PET packaging have hit the bottled water market, but technological advances in biodegradable plastics have given bottled water companies cause for optimism. Annette Farr re...
As the attacks on the soft drinks and bottled water industries grow increasingly vocal around the world, companies in the two categories have looked to products offering whatever the consumer wants. M...
There's a new impulse buy opportunity for retailers and an energy/nutrition fix for consumers in the form of a niche, but growing category - the shot. Annette Farr considers the category, and takes a ...
Read our list of high-profile consumer boycotts, in our weekly just the facts....
Coca-Cola's Spanish unit is considering launching a new energy drink in the country to tap into a growing market where brands such as Monster and Hell have launched recently, a Madrid-based analyst to...
See the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Red Bull has criticised two Swedish retail chains after they announced a plan to ban energy drinks sales to children under the age of 15, citing health concerns....
Voltz Distribution UK has appointed Estrela Iberica Technologies as its sole distributor for the Voltz energy shot health drink in Portugal....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts