AUS: Red Bull pushes for state U-turn on alcohol mix
Red Bull is taking part in the review
Red Bull has called for Western Australia to drop its on-trade ban on mixing energy drinks with alcohol as the state reviews its liquor laws.
The Austria-based company said in a submission to a review committee there is “no clear scientific basis” for the ban, which was introduced to hotels, bars and clubs in 2010. “The current balance of evidence does not support a harmful toxicological or behavioural interaction between caffeine and alcohol,” Red Bull Australia regulatory affairs manager Zac Rich told just-drinks today (25 June).
The submission, which was quoted in Perth's Sunday Times and confirmed to just-drinks by Rich, also said the high price of Red Bull and alcohol discouraged high consumption.
According to local reports, Western Australia is looking at 84 submissions, including Red Bull's 122-page report, in a review of its Liquor Control Act.
The submissions include a push by the Drug and Alcohol Office to ban alcohol advertising near schools and a demand from WA city of Cockburn for the legal drinking age to be raised to 21, unless alcohol abuse by young people declines by 2018, Perth Now reported at the weekend.
Western Australia was the first state in the country to implement an energy drinks and alcohol ban, but the national food regulators have previously raised concerns over their use.
According to the global company website, Red Bull is focusing on the core markets of Western Europe and the US, as well as the growth markets of Brazil, Japan, India and China. The company is also con...
Global Functional Drinks industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The ...
Functional Drinks in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 20...
Functional Drinks in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). T...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research