AUS: Red Bull pushes for state U-turn on alcohol mix
Red Bull is taking part in the review
Red Bull has called for Western Australia to drop its on-trade ban on mixing energy drinks with alcohol as the state reviews its liquor laws.
The Austria-based company said in a submission to a review committee there is “no clear scientific basis” for the ban, which was introduced to hotels, bars and clubs in 2010. “The current balance of evidence does not support a harmful toxicological or behavioural interaction between caffeine and alcohol,” Red Bull Australia regulatory affairs manager Zac Rich told just-drinks today (25 June).
The submission, which was quoted in Perth's Sunday Times and confirmed to just-drinks by Rich, also said the high price of Red Bull and alcohol discouraged high consumption.
According to local reports, Western Australia is looking at 84 submissions, including Red Bull's 122-page report, in a review of its Liquor Control Act.
The submissions include a push by the Drug and Alcohol Office to ban alcohol advertising near schools and a demand from WA city of Cockburn for the legal drinking age to be raised to 21, unless alcohol abuse by young people declines by 2018, Perth Now reported at the weekend.
Western Australia was the first state in the country to implement an energy drinks and alcohol ban, but the national food regulators have previously raised concerns over their use.
According to the global company website, Red Bull is focusing on the core markets of Western Europe and the US, as well as the growth markets of Brazil, Japan, India and China. The company is also con...
Functional Drinks in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Nutrition Foods and Drinks in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports/Energy Foods, and Sports/Energy Drinks....
This report analyzes the Global market for Sports and Fitness Nutrition Supplements in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Amino Acids/Derivatives, Herbal Products, Prohormones, Vitamins/Mi...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014