AUS: Red Bull pushes for state U-turn on alcohol mix
Red Bull is taking part in the review
Red Bull has called for Western Australia to drop its on-trade ban on mixing energy drinks with alcohol as the state reviews its liquor laws.
The Austria-based company said in a submission to a review committee there is “no clear scientific basis” for the ban, which was introduced to hotels, bars and clubs in 2010. “The current balance of evidence does not support a harmful toxicological or behavioural interaction between caffeine and alcohol,” Red Bull Australia regulatory affairs manager Zac Rich told just-drinks today (25 June).
The submission, which was quoted in Perth's Sunday Times and confirmed to just-drinks by Rich, also said the high price of Red Bull and alcohol discouraged high consumption.
According to local reports, Western Australia is looking at 84 submissions, including Red Bull's 122-page report, in a review of its Liquor Control Act.
The submissions include a push by the Drug and Alcohol Office to ban alcohol advertising near schools and a demand from WA city of Cockburn for the legal drinking age to be raised to 21, unless alcohol abuse by young people declines by 2018, Perth Now reported at the weekend.
Western Australia was the first state in the country to implement an energy drinks and alcohol ban, but the national food regulators have previously raised concerns over their use.
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report