INDIA: Red Bull "pleased" with court ruling over former distribution partner
Red Bull used to distribute its drinks in India through NDA
The settlement last week, which also blocked Red Bull's attempt to move the matter to an arbitration court in Switzerland, follows the breakup of the companies' distribution partnership earlier this year. NDA told the Mumbai court that Red Bull had breached their agreement and moved in on its network, according to local reports.
However, Red Bull said the decision still allows it to build presence in India's growing energy drinks sector.
"Red Bull India is pleased with the ruling of the Bombay City Civil Court that has rejected claims of NDA,” the company said. “This has confirmed Red Bull’s right to continue doing business throughout India with the nearly 300 sub-distributors listed in the plaintiff's suit, with the exception of only three for as long as those sub-distributors have a subsisting distribution contract with NDA.”
Narang Group founder & chairman Rahul Narang, whose company is a partner in NDA, agreed to reply to emailed questions from just-drinks but has yet to respond.
The Indian energy drinks market is estimated to be worth INR5bn (US$91.8m) and growing. In August, The Coca-Cola Co received government permission to launch its energy drinks brand, Burn, on the Indian market.
Danone de México SA de CV is primarily a leading company within dairy products. Its importance in soft drinks comes from its strong position in bottled water, where its successful Bonafont brand leads...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future