AUSTRIA: Red Bull in talks to buy US soccer team
Austrian drinks group Red Bull has confirmed that it is in talks to buy US soccer team New York MetroStars.
Red Bull, which last year bought Austrian side Wüstenrot Salzburg club and renamed it Red Bull Salzburg, is in negotiations with MetroStars owner the Anschutz Entertainment Group.
Reports in the US yesterday (7 March) claimed that Red Bull had a struck a US$30m deal to buy the MetroStars, a member of the US Major League Soccer.
However, a Red Bull spokesperson told just-drinks that talks were ongoing.
"We can only confirm talks are going on - no final decision has been made. As soon as one is made, we will make an announcement," she said.
Red Bull also sponsors a NASCAR team that will begin racing next year and last year bought Formula One outfit Minardi.
The Red Bull spokesperson added that the company would continue looking at ways to boost its sports sponsorship throughout 2006.
As in most markets, Red Bull leads the burgeoning energy drinks category in both Slovakia and the Czech Republic. But growth in the sector has attracted a number of other players. Lubomir Sedlak repor...
Cott Corporation's acquisition of UK drinks company Macaw cements its UK division's position as the leading producer of own label soft drinks in the country. Annette Sessions assesses the deal and rep...
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
Functional drinks have been a growth area of the US soft drinks market since the late-1990s. Roger Dilworth reports on the development of the sector and current brand activity....
Austrian energy drinks group Red Bull has bought US soccer team New York MetroStars....
Austrian energy drinks group Red Bull saw revenues leap almost 29% in 2005, buoyed by "outstanding development" in four key regions, including the US....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts