UAE: Red Bull defends trademark infringement
Soft drink manufacturer Red Bull has won a lawsuit against a local importer in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, for selling a product guilty of trademark infringement. The Austrian company's regional office argued the competitor misled customers into believing its Bullfighter drink was a Red Bull product or endorsed by Red Bull, due to its usage of a similar name and packaging.
The court ruled that the competitor intentionally adopted a product which appropriated part of Red Bull's trade or reputation, to capitalise on its marketing and market share, and fined it around US$4,000.
Red Bull's regional director Selim Chidiac praised the local judicial system "for how seriously they treat trademark infringement cases. This is good news for manufacturers and consumers," he said.
Companies: Red Bull
As in most markets, Red Bull leads the burgeoning energy drinks category in both Slovakia and the Czech Republic. But growth in the sector has attracted a number of other players. Lubomir Sedlak repor...
Cott Corporation's acquisition of UK drinks company Macaw cements its UK division's position as the leading producer of own label soft drinks in the country. Annette Sessions assesses the deal and rep...
The functional drinks sector remains something of a niche market in Eastern Europe but there is clearly growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, assesses the state o...
Dairy, functional and premium juices were the winners, water continued to grow, whilst carbonates and squashes lagged behind in the 2004 UK soft drinks race, according to the recently published Britvi...
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
Functional drinks have been a growth area of the US soft drinks market since the late-1990s. Roger Dilworth reports on the development of the sector and current brand activity....
Austrian drinks group Red Bull has confirmed that it is in talks to buy US soccer team New York MetroStars....
Austrian energy drinks group Red Bull saw revenues leap almost 29% in 2005, buoyed by "outstanding development" in four key regions, including the US....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets