GLOBAL: Recession fails to hit global Fairtrade sales
The increase came despite one of the most difficult economic years on record
Consumers across the world spent around EUR3.4bn (US$4.2bn) on Fairtrade products in 2009, a 15% increase on the previous year.
The figures, published by the Fairtrade Foundation today (26 May), showed that the increase came despite one of the most difficult economic years on record.
“As 2009 began in the midst of the worst recession in 70 years, we worried that Fairtrade producers could lose sales,” said Rob Cameron, CEO of Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO). “Instead, ... Fairtrade sales grew in all countries.”
Cocoa and sugar farmers experienced among the strongest leap in sales, 35% and 57% respectively, thanks in part to commitments by confectionary brands including Cadbury Dairy Milk, Nestle’s Kit Kat, Green & Black’s, and Ben & Jerry’s.
Coffee, the pioneering Fairtrade product, grew steadily at 12%.
Fairtrade also gained new customers outside of its traditional markets. Sales grew in Eastern Europe, South Africa, and many countries in the global south.
Strong growth was also recorded in established Fairtrade nations such as the UK, where growth hit 14%, and in the US where growth reached 7%.
In Australia and New Zealand, consumers increased their Fairtrade shopping by more than half (58%).
Click here to view the full release.
As we have pondered on this site before, there are many indicators as to whether we are heading towards any sort of sustainable economic recovery, from employment levels to GDP growth and the housing ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018