UK: Receivers seek buyers for UK's FD Brands
Mark Riley, a partner in BDO Stoy Hayward, one of the co-receivers with KPMG, told just-drinks.com he was "selling some brands" in the FD portfolio, which includes Cockspur, FD Schnappes and Harvey Wallbanger. Negotiations had begun with a number of interested parties, but he said it was "too early to say which brands and which companies."
FD Brands went into liquidation last week after a poor sales performance during the Christmas period and escalating losses. "The margins weren't good enough and a lot was riding on the Christmas sales. The market is saturated at the moment and competition is tough. FD Brands made a loss in 2000 and was heading for a loss this year," said Riley.
The company turnover last year was £17m. Its 25 staff have been made redundant, though a skeletal, back office staff has remained to settle outstanding orders and accounts at the company's Surrey offices.
Riley is confident the company can recoup some of its losses through the brand sale. "I'm delighted people are taking an interest in the brands. The sooner the brands are back out in the market, the better," he said.
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China