INDIA: Radico Khaitan seeks international drinks partners
Radico Khaitan seeks international tie-ups
Radico Khaitan is in talks with international drinks companies with a view to importing and distributing new brands in the firm's native India.
Radico Khaitan's senior vice president for international business, Ankur Sachdeva, confirmed the group's strategy to just-drinks today (2 November). "We are in dialogue with a few international drinks companies for import and distribution of their leading brands in India, for both domestic as well as travel retail segments of the market," he said.
Radico Khaitan already operates joint ventures with Diageo and E&J Gallo in India. Further deals would build the firm's presence in an alcoholic drinks sector dominated by Vijay Mallya's United Spirits and United Breweries.
"The strategy is to build a complimentary portfolio of iconic brands and as such all major product categories are being looked at," said Sachdeva, who previously headed up business development for William Grant & Sons in India.
He said that Radico Khaitan does not expect existing joint ventures to limit its options in bringing in new international drinks brands. "The international business division headed by myself is 100% [the] initiative of Radico Khaitan Ltd and I don’t envisage any conflict with the existing Diageo – Radico Khaitan JV," he said.
The firm's joint venture with Diageo does not cover any brands that are bottled overseas, such as Johnnie Walker. "As far as the JV with Diageo goes, the same is continuing and is only for the locally-produced Masterstroke whisky brand," said Sachdeva.
There was speculation earlier this year that Diageo would take control of the joint venture by acquiring Radico Khaitain's 50% stake. Talks have taken place between the two firms, just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation.
Radico Khaitan is best known for its 8pm whisky and Contessa rum, as well as Old Admiral brandy and Magic Moments vodka. It has around a 10% volume share of India's spirits market.
We should not be too surprised that Diageo has ended its flirtation with Stock Spirits....
Diageo is set to run a golf tournament in the US for the Ketel One vodka brand....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research