FRANCE/FINLAND: Rémy Cointreau agrees sale of Larsen Cognac to Altia
Rémy Cointreau agreed to buy Larsen Cognac in December
Rémy Cointreau has agreed to sell Larsen Cognac to Finland's Altia Corporation just months after buying the Norwegian-founded Cognac house.
The deal will give the brand access to Altia's network in Nordic and Baltic countries, the Cognac's key markets, Remy said today (10 June). It is expected to complete in three months, subject to regulatory approval.
Remy said the sale includes the brand, industrial and commercial assets and "inventories necessary for the entity to operate as a going concern".
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
Larsen was formed in 1926 by Norwegian Jens Reidar Larsen.
Altia said the deal will make it the sixth largest Cognac house and follows the acquisition of the Gronstedts and Admundsen Cognac brands in 2010 and Renault Cognac last year.
Meanwhile, Altia has agreed to buy aquavit brand Brøndums from Arcus-Gruppen for EUR11m (US$14.5m). The transaction, which has been approved by Denmark's competition authorities, will give Altia's Danish unit 23% of the country's aquavit market by volume.
Rémy Cointreau punches above its weight in spirits, having established itself as a major global player in cognac despite its relatively small size compared to Pernod Ricard and LVMH. China has been it...
For a category that sells around 146.4m cases annually, it may seem unusual to characterise Rum as a relatively unexploited opportunity. Indeed it is already a diverse and eclectic category with a wid...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Belgium beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and a...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets