ARGENTINA: Quilmes hit by economic conditions
Latin American brewing force, Quilmes Industrial SA, posted a US$23.5m loss for the first quarter on net sales some 49% down at US$155m. The Luxembourg-based group recorded a net profit of US$21.6m in the first quarter of last year.
The company said it had been hit by lower beer volumes resulting from adverse economic conditions in certain Latin American markets. Beer volume sales fell from 3.84m hls to 3.31m hls.
Net revenues in Argentina, the group's largest market where it operates the leading brewing force, Quilmes, fell dramatically from US$148m to US$60.2m, severely affected by the devaluation of the Argentine peso and government restrictions on the financial markets. Volumes in Argentina fell from 2.72m hls to 2.28m hls.
The company's operations in Bolivia performed better, with net revenues rising marginally from US$21.1m to US$21.4m but volumes were down from 395,000 hls to 388,000 hls. Sales in Paraguay fell from US$24.7m to US$19.5m with volumes down from 488,000 hls to 425,000 hls. In Chile, revenues fell from US$8.3m to US$7.2m on slightly lower volumes of 135,000 hls.
Earlier this month, Quilmes sold a 36% stake in its Argentine division to the Brazilian-based drinks company, AmBev, for US$346.4m and took on AmBev operations in Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay as part of the same deal.
Companies: Anheuser-Busch InBev
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends