JAPAN: Q1 beer shipments slide, Asahi takes lead - figures
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like products in Japan registered a fall in the first three months of 2008, according to recent figures.
Data from the Brewers Association of Japan, released yesterday (10 April) showed that total shipments in the three months to the end of March slipped by 2.6% year-on-year, totalling 94.7m cases. While beer shipments were down by 4.9% to 49.5m cases, sales of 'happoshu' - the low malt beer alternative - also fell, by 4.5% to 24.7m cases.
The so-called 'third category' beer sector registered a 5.8% rise in shipments, meanwhile, to 20.5m cases.
One case represents the equivalent of 20 633-mililitre bottles.
Asahi Breweries, which raised prices across the beer board last month, saw its total shipments fall by 2.8% on the corresponding quarter a year earlier, to 35.1m cases. Despite the decrease, Asahi led Japan's brewers in shipments, as main rival Kirin Brewery saw its total shipments drop by 6.9% to 34m cases.
Asahi subsequently held a 37% share of the total market in the country, ahead of Kirin's 35.9%. Sapporo Breweries held the third spot, with 12.6m cases - down 0.9% year-on-year - garnering a market share of 13.3%.
Suntory Ltd., which has been more selective in its price increases, raised its shipments in the period by 8.6% to 21.1m cases. The company accounted for 12.8% market share.
Soaring input costs have caused a fall in full-year profit at Shepherd Neame, but the UK ale brewer said its beer brands remained "resilient" to a market downturn....
The runners and riders are lining up to buy Cadbury Schweppes' Australian soft drinks unit, should it be put up for sale....
Kirin, the Japanese drinks firm, has said it intends to expand its soft drinks division overseas, but declined to comment on speculation that it has shown interest in Cadbury Schweppes' Australian dri...
Japanese brewer Kirin has blamed rising costs and a sluggish market for a drop in domestic beer sales and profits in its first half....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts