CANADA/US: Proximo Spirits set to handle Jose Cuervo in North America
Both Jose Cuervo and Proximo Spirits are owned by the Beckmann family
Proximo Spirits will take over from Diageo as the US and Canadian distributor of the Jose Cuervo Tequila range.
The company, which is owned by the same family as Jose Cuervo, confirmed today (1 March) that it will assume the sales, marketing and distribution mantle from 1 July. Diageo is set to relinquish its hold on the range after talks with the Beckmann family collapsed late last year.
The family will look to find alternative distributors in its other markets: Diageo handled the Tequila globally, with the exxception of Mexico.
“We plan to make considerable investments in brand building and innovation for the Jose Cuervo portfolio to accelerate its growth,” said Proximo's CEO & president, Mark Teasdale. “We are looking forward to returning Jose Cuervo to its position as the most exciting Tequila brand in the category."
The US is by far the largest market for Jose Cuervo outside of Mexico.
The full portfolio comprises Especial Gold, Tradicional, Platino, Reserva de la Familia, Golden Margarita, Authentic Jose Cuervo Margaritas and Jose Cuervo Margarita Mix.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Comment - Coke Life: Hit or Miss?
- just Five Years Ago: A-B InBev sells Oriental
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Pernod Ricard swings at Portman Group