US: Profits slip in Q1 as sales stay strong for Constellation Brands
- Comparable Q1 net profits drop by 3% to US$74m
- Net sales in three months to end of May rise by 6.1% to $673.4m
- Operating profits also dip, by 5% to $104m
Constellation Brands released its first-quarter results today
Constellation Brands has seen its first-quarter profits hit by rising costs, despite a slight lift in sales for the period.
The company said earlier today (2 July) that net profits on a comparable basis for the three months to the end of May were down by 3% year-on-year at US$74m. Net sales in the period increased by 6.1% to $673.4m, while operating profits fell by 5% to $104m.
The company highlighted higher grape and selling, general and administrative expenses as hampering profits in the quarter.
On a reported basis, net profits plunged by 27% to $53m, with operating profits falling similarly, by 34% to $71m.
Wine sales rose by 6% in the quarter and spirits sales were up by 4%. Crown Imports, the beer JV in the US with Grupo Modelo that Constellation has acquired, saw net sales increase by 5%.
“From an operational perspective, we are off to a positive start for the year, as we achieved our first quarter goals and objectives," said company president and CEO Rob Sands.
The firm confirmed in its results statement that it completed the purchase of Modelo’s US beer business from Anheuser-Busch InBev for around $4.75bn on 7 June. The transaction also includes Modelo's brewery at Piedras Negras, on the border between the US and Mexico.
Constellation said it expects its full-year earnings-per-share to come in between $2.32 and $2.62 on a reported basis, and between $2.60 and $2.90 on a comparable basis. The forecasts include a projected spend of up to $140m this year on "expansion activities" for the Piedras Negras brewery.
To read the company's official release, click here.
For a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of Constellation's Q1 results, click here.
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Sustainable packaging gets the just-drinks management briefing treatment in this, the fourth and final part of our look at environmental sustainability in the wine sector....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends