US: Producers Fight US Proposal That Threatens Organic Wine Future
US wine industry leaders have taken steps to counter what they see as a US government led attack on the organic wine industry. Growers, producers and importers have formed a lobby group called Organic Wine Industry (OWI) to challenge a ruling by the USDA that will eliminate the use of the term "organically grown grapes" from wine labels.The ruling, which has come as a surprise to the industry, will apply to all wines whether they are grown at certified organic vineyards or not. Only those producers not adding sulphur dioxide to their wines will be allowed to use the term "organic" and the terminology "organically grown grapes" will be eliminated by the recent ruling.The OWI has pointed out that the USDA has failed to heed the advice of the National Organic Standards Board, the group appointed by the USDA to advise to such issues. Furthermore it has failed also to understand the importance of sulphur dioxide in the production of quality wines, said the OWI.One organic grower said: "If the use of sulphur dioxide is forbidden in organic wine production, the demand for certified organically grown grapes will be drastically diminished, if not totally eliminated. This will nullify the incentive and long term commitment for growers to pursue sustainable growing practices that protect the environment and contribute to high quality, shelf-stable wines."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research