US: Price rises in US spirits market hits Diageo, Pernod Ricard volumes in Q1 - figures
Diageo saw pricing rise 2.9% in Q1, according to Nielsen figures
Statistics from Nielsen, highlighted by Investec Securities late last week, showed that Diageo's volumes in the three months to the end of March were down by 1.5% year-on-year, as pricing rose by 2.9%. Pernod, meanwhile, saw volumes dip by 0.8% on a pricing increase of 3.2%.
The figures clearly indicate that the premiumisation trend continues in the US spirits category, Investec noted, as "consumers trade up into luxury brands".
Of the other main spirits player in the US, Brown-Forman's performance was the most impressive in the quarter, with volumes and price both rising, by 8.4% and 1.1%, respectively. Bacardi saw volumes increase by 2.1% as prices fell back by 0.5%, while Beam's 3.2% drop in volumes came as a result of a 6.6% rise in prices in the period.
Brown-Forman posted the largest market share move, up 0.3% in value terms on a year ago.
In a way it must be a bit galling for the undoubtedly talented number crunchers at the International Wine and Spirit Record (IWSR) that their carefully devised methodology for calculating the world's ...
While the opening day of the ICAP 'Global Actions: Initiatives to Reduce Harmful Drinking' conference focused on many of the industry-led programmes initiated since 2010 when the WHO 'Global Strategy ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future