US: Price rises in US spirits market hits Diageo, Pernod Ricard volumes in Q1 - figures
Diageo saw pricing rise 2.9% in Q1, according to Nielsen figures
Statistics from Nielsen, highlighted by Investec Securities late last week, showed that Diageo's volumes in the three months to the end of March were down by 1.5% year-on-year, as pricing rose by 2.9%. Pernod, meanwhile, saw volumes dip by 0.8% on a pricing increase of 3.2%.
The figures clearly indicate that the premiumisation trend continues in the US spirits category, Investec noted, as "consumers trade up into luxury brands".
Of the other main spirits player in the US, Brown-Forman's performance was the most impressive in the quarter, with volumes and price both rising, by 8.4% and 1.1%, respectively. Bacardi saw volumes increase by 2.1% as prices fell back by 0.5%, while Beam's 3.2% drop in volumes came as a result of a 6.6% rise in prices in the period.
Brown-Forman posted the largest market share move, up 0.3% in value terms on a year ago.
In a way it must be a bit galling for the undoubtedly talented number crunchers at the International Wine and Spirit Record (IWSR) that their carefully devised methodology for calculating the world's ...
While the opening day of the ICAP 'Global Actions: Initiatives to Reduce Harmful Drinking' conference focused on many of the industry-led programmes initiated since 2010 when the WHO 'Global Strategy ...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages