Press round-up - S&N, Carlsberg and Heineken
The Daily Mail has said that entrepreneur Vijay Mallya, who owns a 37.5% stake in United Breweries, may not give a potential takeover his consent.
S&N also holds a 37.5% share in UB, with the balance being held by investors.
The newspaper cited a spokesperson for S&N as saying: "The idea that anyone can take over our stake in (Mallya's company) Kingfisher without Vijay Mallya's consent is absurd."
No-one was immediately available at UB for comment, although sources close to the situation were cited in the Daily Mail report as saying that Mallya has a "very strong" relationship with S&N's management.
Earlier this year, SABMiller was rumoured to be looking at a potential tie-up with S&N. Local reports at the time suggested that UB would look to veto the deal. UB leads the Indian beer market with 45% market share, with SABMiller chasing the brewer down with 38%.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included stories from Beam Global, The UB Group, LVMH, Danone SABMiller and Heineken....
Heineken shareholders have approved the acquisition by Sunrise Acquisitions, a company jointly owned by Heineken and Carlsberg for the entire share capital of Scottish & Newcastle....
The European Union has made a plea to the alcoholic drinks industry to stop targeting young people and minors in marketing campaigns....
The head of United Breweries has said that there "shouldn't be any roadblocks" in his company's negotiations with Heineken over a stake in the Indian company....
Heineken has stayed silent on rumours it is in talks with Belarus' Rechitsapivo brewery over potentially taking a controlling stake....
Heineken has clarified claims that it expects this year's revenue growth in Russia to be lower than last year as inaccurate....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg has confirmed plans to build two new breweries in India, through its South Asia Breweries joint venture in the country....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review