UK: Press round-up - S&N, Carlsberg and Heineken
A report in the Sunday Times yesterday (21 October) claimed that S&N is considering selling its Finnish unit, Hartwall, which, the paper said, holds S&N's 50% stake in Baltic Beverages Holding.
Carlsberg holds the other half of BBH.
By selling Hartwall, the paper said, S&N would circumvent the 'silver bullet' clause it has with Carlsberg over BBH. If Carlsberg were to offer to buy BBH from S&N for a certain amount, S&N could refuse the offer, then have the right to acquire Carlsberg's stake for the same amount the Danish brewer initially offered.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, an analyst pointed out that Hartwall is a separate unit to BBH, with S&N actually holding the stake in BBH and not Hartwall. "It's a fairly inaccurate report," the analyst said. "Hartwall and BBH are separate.
"The way I see it, S&N doesn't really have a poison pill policy when it comes to BBH. If S&N were to sell its stake in BBH, then S&N isn't really worth very much. It also wouldn't be a good move as far as its shareholders were concerned."
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for S&N was cited in another report this weekend, from The Evening News in Scotland, as warning that any hostile bid from Carlsberg and Heineken would have an impact on the Scottish government's alcohol safety campaign.
"There are alcohol questions," the spokesperson was cited as saying. "A major part of the campaign requires the constructive support and engagement of a locally headquartered business. Do you think constructive support would come if S&N is run from Amsterdam?"
No-one was available at S&N to comment on the reports when contacted by just-drinks today.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included stories from Beam Global, The UB Group, LVMH, Danone SABMiller and Heineken....
Heineken shareholders have approved the acquisition by Sunrise Acquisitions, a company jointly owned by Heineken and Carlsberg for the entire share capital of Scottish & Newcastle....
Belvedere has confirmed it has held talks with a major distillery in Russia in an effort to "strengthen its position in the vodka market"....
The head of Beam Global Spirits & Wine has said the company has "a lot of dry powder", and will consider other acquisitions following its failure to capture Vin & Sprit earlier this month....
The head of United Breweries has said that there "shouldn't be any roadblocks" in his company's negotiations with Heineken over a stake in the Indian company....
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the world's leading luxury group, said today (16 April) that it had achieved revenues of EUR4 billion (US$6.37bn) in the first quarter of 2008, up 5% on the same peri...
Consolidation has grown among US beer distributors due to rising costs, the need for well-balanced portfolios and broader reach, according to an industry report....
Don Sebastiani & Sons has announced a number of promotions as part of a reorganisation of its sales force....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015