POLAND: President may refer vodka dispute to Constitutional Court
Poland's President, Aleksander Kwasniewski, will decide today what to do with the controversial Industrial Property Law, which is set to rob Pernod Ricard of its Polish vodka brands, according to Polish reports.The Property law, passed by the Sejm and the Senate, will deprive Agros Holdings, in which Pernod Ricard holds a controlling stake, the international rights to many of Poland's leading vodka brands, including Wyborowa. The international rights will be transferred to the Polmoses that produce the vodkas.The President is expected to refer the issue to the Constitutional Court for a ruling on whether the transfer is legal. According to Polish press reports, some legal experts have described the law as an attempt to rob Agros of its legal property.Most observers agree that the decision should be made by independent courts and not a legislative body.If the President decides not to refer the ruling to the courts, he could sign or veto the law himself.Chris Brook-Carter
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends