Powerscourt Distillery to join Irish whiskey ranks
A new Irish whiskey distillery, this time in Co Wicklow to the south of Dublin, is set to begin construction in the coming months.
Powerscourt Distillery, a joint-venture between Irish entrepreneurs Gerry Ginty and Ashley Gardiner and Powerscourt Estate & Gardens, is set to come into being once an EUR5m (US$5.6m) funding programme has been completed this year. The first round of funding, for EUR3m, closed earlier this year.
The facility, which will have production capacity of around 1m bottles per year, will be located on the estate, in Enniskerry, Co Wicklow. It will utilise locally-grown barley with Powerscourt's certified mineral water, and is expected to be in full operation by the end of 2016.
A planning application was submitted last week.
Co-founder Ashley Gardiner said: “With over 500,000 unique visitors a year to (Powerscourt Estate & Gardens), we will have a ready-made base of global ambassadors to support the potential and scale of this project.”
Brown-Forman, the latest international drinks group to enter the Irish whiskey category, is to officially mark the beginning of construction of it new facility, at Slane Castle, Co Meath later this week.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends