INDIA: Potential spanner in works for Diageo as UB Group hit by US$90m guarantee demand
Vijay Mallya must scrape together INR5bn to prevent the sale of pledged shares in United Spirits
The head of The UB Group has been told he must provide a personal guarantee of INR5bn (US$91.9m) to obtain a four-week protection period against lenders hoping to sell a portion of pledged shares in the United Spirits (USL) division.
Vijay Mallya, the chairman of The UB Group, was hit by the demand by the Bombay High Court earlier today (2 April). A consortium of lenders, comprising 17 banks led by the State Bank of India (SBI), is seeking to retrieve money lent to the group for its struggling Kingfisher airline.
The consortium was given pledged shares in United Spirits in return for the loans.
Mallya had previously filed a petition through UB Holdings seeking to prevent the sale of these shares, after the SBI last week sold a portion of them in the open market amounting to INR1bn.
No one was available from UB Group spokesperson to comment on how the company will respond to the court’s condition.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the India beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research