INDIA: Potential spanner in works for Diageo as UB Group hit by US$90m guarantee demand
Vijay Mallya must scrape together INR5bn to prevent the sale of pledged shares in United Spirits
The head of The UB Group has been told he must provide a personal guarantee of INR5bn (US$91.9m) to obtain a four-week protection period against lenders hoping to sell a portion of pledged shares in the United Spirits (USL) division.
Vijay Mallya, the chairman of The UB Group, was hit by the demand by the Bombay High Court earlier today (2 April). A consortium of lenders, comprising 17 banks led by the State Bank of India (SBI), is seeking to retrieve money lent to the group for its struggling Kingfisher airline.
The consortium was given pledged shares in United Spirits in return for the loans.
Mallya had previously filed a petition through UB Holdings seeking to prevent the sale of these shares, after the SBI last week sold a portion of them in the open market amounting to INR1bn.
No one was available from UB Group spokesperson to comment on how the company will respond to the court’s condition.
This report comprises of high level market research data on the India beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research