INDIA: Potential spanner in works for Diageo as UB Group hit by US$90m guarantee demand
Vijay Mallya must scrape together INR5bn to prevent the sale of pledged shares in United Spirits
The head of The UB Group has been told he must provide a personal guarantee of INR5bn (US$91.9m) to obtain a four-week protection period against lenders hoping to sell a portion of pledged shares in the United Spirits (USL) division.
Vijay Mallya, the chairman of The UB Group, was hit by the demand by the Bombay High Court earlier today (2 April). A consortium of lenders, comprising 17 banks led by the State Bank of India (SBI), is seeking to retrieve money lent to the group for its struggling Kingfisher airline.
The consortium was given pledged shares in United Spirits in return for the loans.
Mallya had previously filed a petition through UB Holdings seeking to prevent the sale of these shares, after the SBI last week sold a portion of them in the open market amounting to INR1bn.
No one was available from UB Group spokesperson to comment on how the company will respond to the court’s condition.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the India beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future