INDIA: Potential spanner in works for Diageo as UB Group hit by US$90m guarantee demand
Vijay Mallya must scrape together INR5bn to prevent the sale of pledged shares in United Spirits
The head of The UB Group has been told he must provide a personal guarantee of INR5bn (US$91.9m) to obtain a four-week protection period against lenders hoping to sell a portion of pledged shares in the United Spirits (USL) division.
Vijay Mallya, the chairman of The UB Group, was hit by the demand by the Bombay High Court earlier today (2 April). A consortium of lenders, comprising 17 banks led by the State Bank of India (SBI), is seeking to retrieve money lent to the group for its struggling Kingfisher airline.
The consortium was given pledged shares in United Spirits in return for the loans.
Mallya had previously filed a petition through UB Holdings seeking to prevent the sale of these shares, after the SBI last week sold a portion of them in the open market amounting to INR1bn.
No one was available from UB Group spokesperson to comment on how the company will respond to the court’s condition.
Since the great recession of 2008/2009 Diageo has transformed itself, primarily through acquisition, from being overly focused on mature markets to a more balanced geographic split and if, as seems li...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the India beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report