UK: Portman Group promotes drinks marketing code
UK drinks industry self-regulatory body, The Portman Group, has launched a new campaign to promote its responsible advertising code.
Portman said today (28 September) that it will focus on the rule that actors have to be, and look, 25 years of age to be shown drinking as part of any alcohol marketing campaign in the UK.
Portman's code sets minimum mandatory standards for all alcohol naming, packaging, brand websites, sponsorships and sampling.
David Poley, Portman Group chief executive, said: "We have chosen to promote the 25 year-old rule because it is one of the lesser known restrictions. It applies to any marketing activity carried out in the UK by a drinks company. The industry has set itself extremely high standards across all its marketing. Now, we want to ensure consumers know the rules and how to complain."
Earlier this month, the head of the Wine & Spirit Trade Association claimed the debate over how to tackle excess drinking in the UK was becoming "distorted".
CEO Jeremy Beadles said there is a climate of prohibition creeping into rhetoric used by groups campaigning for tougher measures on alcohol sales and promotion.
The UK's Portman Group is to take action against a drink it claims leaves consumers guessing whether it contains alcohol or not....
The UK government has confirmed that it will maintain a ban on the placement of branded alcohol and soft drinks high in sugar in television programmes....
The Portman Group, the drinks industry's self-regulatory body, has rejected a "slur" on the sector by the author of an article in the British Medical Journal....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets