UK: Portman Group asks consumers to monitor drinks adverts
Portman Group launches awareness campaign
The UK drinks industry's advertising regulator, the Portman Group, has asked consumers to be on the lookout for irresponsible marketing of alcohol.
Portman has this week launched a campaign to make consumers aware of its Code of Practice for drinks marketing. It has taken out full-page adverts in the mainstream press, asking consumers to report irresponsible campaigns.
The group's move comes as many drinks companies increase their advertising in the run-up to Christmas. "We have zero tolerance for irresponsible alcohol marketing and urge people to complain to us if they see an inappropriate product or campaign," said Portman's CEO, David Poley.
"The vast majority of drinks producers do market their products responsibly – they follow the rules and seek our expert advice before launching their products," he added. Only two products have been found in breach of Portman's Code so far in 2010.
The first part of March's management briefing looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's use of corporate social responsibility in the UK....
The alcohol policy debate was back in the spotlight earlier this month, with the publication of a paper in The Lancet warning of thousands of avoidable alcohol-related deaths if stronger action is not...
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends