UK: Poor weather hits 2012 soft drinks volumes
Energy drinks are bucking the trend in the UK, along with bottled waters
UK sales of soft drinks fell by 2.5% in volume terms last year, but energy drinks and bottled waters bucked the trend, a new report has revealed.
The study, published by the British Soft Drinks Association yesterday (8 May), cited poor summer weather, rising raw material and energy costs and the economic climate as reasons for the drop-off, as 2012 volumes fell to GBP14.2bn litres. However, sales by value grew by 3.3% to around GBP15bn (US$23.3bn).
Bottled waters and energy drinks were the only categories to see volume gains. Sales of waters grew by 3.3% in volume to 2.1m litres. A "late summer heat wave", the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics and "signifcant brand activation" boosted growth, the BSDA said.
Energy drink volumes grew by 9.7% to 475m litres. Sales by value rose by 12.8% to GBP1.4bn. "Nonetheless, price competition in an increasingly crowded segment is a challenge for producers," the report said.
Meanwhile, sports drinks saw a drop in volumes from 165m litres in 2011 to 155m litres as "cost-conscious consumers reduced their spending," the report said.
Volumes for carbonates, dilutables and fruit juices were also down.
Sales of soft drinks with no added sugar continued to account for the majority of the market, representing 61% of sales. Drinks with added sugar accounted for 39% of the market.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Following the acquisition of Irish company C&C (Ireland) Ltd in 2007 Britvic Ireland Ltd has held a firm position in soft drinks, offering leading brands such as Club and Ballygowan in Ireland. Despit...
Juices in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages