UK: Poor weather hits 2012 soft drinks volumes
Energy drinks are bucking the trend in the UK, along with bottled waters
UK sales of soft drinks fell by 2.5% in volume terms last year, but energy drinks and bottled waters bucked the trend, a new report has revealed.
The study, published by the British Soft Drinks Association yesterday (8 May), cited poor summer weather, rising raw material and energy costs and the economic climate as reasons for the drop-off, as 2012 volumes fell to GBP14.2bn litres. However, sales by value grew by 3.3% to around GBP15bn (US$23.3bn).
Bottled waters and energy drinks were the only categories to see volume gains. Sales of waters grew by 3.3% in volume to 2.1m litres. A "late summer heat wave", the Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics and "signifcant brand activation" boosted growth, the BSDA said.
Energy drink volumes grew by 9.7% to 475m litres. Sales by value rose by 12.8% to GBP1.4bn. "Nonetheless, price competition in an increasingly crowded segment is a challenge for producers," the report said.
Meanwhile, sports drinks saw a drop in volumes from 165m litres in 2011 to 155m litres as "cost-conscious consumers reduced their spending," the report said.
Volumes for carbonates, dilutables and fruit juices were also down.
Sales of soft drinks with no added sugar continued to account for the majority of the market, representing 61% of sales. Drinks with added sugar accounted for 39% of the market.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The company is focused on following three main strategies in 2013 in order to maintain its presence as one of the leading soft drinks manufacturers in the UK. These are innovation, increased distribut...
Barr (AG) Plc is focused on joining forces with Britvic Soft Drinks Ltd to become a joint partner company in what is expected to be the largest European soft drinks company. The formulation of the mer...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Is Coca-Cola Co “back on track” after brighter Q1?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets