US: Poll shows beer bouncing back, says A-B
Anheuser-Busch has claimed that US consumers are turning back to beer, after a leading US pollster published its findings on alcohol consumption in the country over the last year.
According to Gallup data cited by A-B, beer consumption has risen 5% while wine consumption has fallen in the 12 months since last July. Of those questioned, 41% said they most often drank beer, A-B said, adding that beer accounts for almost 60% of alcohol servings.
A-B, which has suffered more than most as US consumers increasingly switch from beer to wines and spirits, has spearheaded an industry-wide marketing campaign to revitalise demand for domestic beer in the US.
The campaign, dubbed 'Here's To Beer', has faced criticism from rival brewers who have claimed it only serves A-B's interests. The Budweiser brewer has countered that the campaign has widespread support throughout the US beer industry and has pointed to its support from rival wholesalers.
Bob Lachky, executive vice president of global industry development at Anheuser-Busch, said: "Through innovative products, packaging and programs, such as 'Here's To Beer,' brewers and wholesalers are working hard to remind Americans of beer's role in our culture. It's great to see people are responding."
Carlsberg is in talks to distribute the flagship beer of Czech state-owned brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
Moody's has lowered its long-term rating of Anheuser-Busch to A2 from A1 following a review of the US brewer....
Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar saw its overseas sales rise 7% last year thanks to growing demand across its key export markets....
Dutch brewer Grolsch will launch a new, distinctive green bottle during the first quarter of the year....
Swedish state-run alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget saw sales rise over 5% last year, the company has said....
Brewing giant Anheuser-Busch has received a ratings boost from a US investment bank....
Anheuser-Busch cannot use the Budweiser name in Portugal, the highest chamber of the European Court of Human Rights has ruled....
The Finnish government may look at increasing taxes levied on beers and spirits by 10%, said Liisa Hyssala, the country's Health and Social Services Minister....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report