POLAND: Polish vodka sales deteriorate as sector gears up for privatisation
The statement, reported in the Polish press, has been made by Barbara Litak-Zarebska, undersecretary of state in the Treasury Ministry, and comes at a time when the Polish government is attempting to attract bids for all 18 Polmoses in a privatisation process.
She said that only five of the 18 Polmoses are in a stable situation. These are Bialystok, Poznan, Zielona Gora, Torun and Konin.
Litak-Zarebska blamed the industry's poor performance on a drop in domestic alcohol consumption, the high share of indirect taxes in production costs as well as growing illegal imports of alcoholic beverages.
The polish press reported that within the sector performance varied greatly. Those distilleries that acquired the trademark rights to well-known popular brands such as Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Zubrowka have generated better sales. These traditional brands are also selling better than many of the newly launched brands on the market.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends