POLAND: Polish vodka sales deteriorate as sector gears up for privatisation
The Polish spirits industry is experiencing a testing financial period, with only the larger Polmos distilleries showing decent financial gains, while the rest of the sector struggles with illegal imports falling sales and high taxes, according to a government minister.The statement, reported in the Polish press, has been made by Barbara Litak-Zarebska, undersecretary of state in the Treasury Ministry, and comes at a time when the Polish government is attempting to attract bids for all 18 Polmoses in a privatisation process.She said that only five of the 18 Polmoses are in a stable situation. These are Bialystok, Poznan, Zielona Gora, Torun and Konin.Litak-Zarebska blamed the industry's poor performance on a drop in domestic alcohol consumption, the high share of indirect taxes in production costs as well as growing illegal imports of alcoholic beverages.The polish press reported that within the sector performance varied greatly. Those distilleries that acquired the trademark rights to well-known popular brands such as Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Zubrowka have generated better sales. These traditional brands are also selling better than many of the newly launched brands on the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Sustainability in Wine - Part IV
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018