POLAND: Polish vodka sales deteriorate as sector gears up for privatisation
The Polish spirits industry is experiencing a testing financial period, with only the larger Polmos distilleries showing decent financial gains, while the rest of the sector struggles with illegal imports falling sales and high taxes, according to a government minister.The statement, reported in the Polish press, has been made by Barbara Litak-Zarebska, undersecretary of state in the Treasury Ministry, and comes at a time when the Polish government is attempting to attract bids for all 18 Polmoses in a privatisation process.She said that only five of the 18 Polmoses are in a stable situation. These are Bialystok, Poznan, Zielona Gora, Torun and Konin.Litak-Zarebska blamed the industry's poor performance on a drop in domestic alcohol consumption, the high share of indirect taxes in production costs as well as growing illegal imports of alcoholic beverages.The polish press reported that within the sector performance varied greatly. Those distilleries that acquired the trademark rights to well-known popular brands such as Wyborowa, Luksusowa and Zubrowka have generated better sales. These traditional brands are also selling better than many of the newly launched brands on the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits