POLAND: Polish Police Bust Bootleggers Making Cognac With Hair Coloring
Polish customs officers Friday busted a mobile laboratory for making false brand-name cognac with hair coloring, the customs service reported.
Customs officers discovered the equipment and components for making the fake cognac in a bus arriving from Belarus.
Grain alcohol, demineralized water, hair coloring, bottles and labels were hidden in a bus carrying shopping tourists to the large open-air market in the Polish capital, according to customs service spokeswoman Malgorzata Skocinska.
The "cognac," made from grain alcohol diluted with water and colored with caramel and hair coloring, was destined for sale at the market which sprawls outside of a Warsaw sports stadium.
In an operation overnight Thursday and Friday Polish customs officers seized 1,500 litres of bootleg alcohol and 5,000 contraband cigarettes.
Some forty Russian and Belarussian smugglers were detained.
source: (c) 2000 Agence France Presse
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- Work begins on Glasgow distillery
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages