NEW ZEALAND: Police Threaten Jail For Hemp-loving Wine Buffs
New Zealand police are warning wine buffs that a recent recipe for a potent home-brew marijuana wine could land them in jail. Norml, the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, published the recipe in its recent free magazine.The concoction uses 4oz. of marijuana leaf, sultanas, white wine yeast, sugar and lemons. The mix is fermented for three months and Norml claims that the recipe will produce 25 litres of passion-fruit flavoured wine - but with a big additional kick. But police are unamused. The wine is a by-product of the marijuana leaf with means that the wine will fall into the category of a class B drug - similar to ecstasy or speed.And the penalty for manufacturing a class B drug in New Zealand: 14 years in the slammer! Marijuana leaf is normally classified merely as a class C drug. "We know people make cakes, muffins and so on, but we have not heard of wine," says Auckland drug squad detective Graeme Porter. "We have enough problems with wine and students let alone putting cannabis in it." Norml news editor Chris Fowlie said the recipe had been sent by a "keen reader". "For those who try it, caution is advised. You should always go easy when combining alcohol and cannabis and moderation is the key," he said.David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets