NEW ZEALAND: Police Threaten Jail For Hemp-loving Wine Buffs
New Zealand police are warning wine buffs that a recent recipe for a potent home-brew marijuana wine could land them in jail. Norml, the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, published the recipe in its recent free magazine.The concoction uses 4oz. of marijuana leaf, sultanas, white wine yeast, sugar and lemons. The mix is fermented for three months and Norml claims that the recipe will produce 25 litres of passion-fruit flavoured wine - but with a big additional kick. But police are unamused. The wine is a by-product of the marijuana leaf with means that the wine will fall into the category of a class B drug - similar to ecstasy or speed.And the penalty for manufacturing a class B drug in New Zealand: 14 years in the slammer! Marijuana leaf is normally classified merely as a class C drug. "We know people make cakes, muffins and so on, but we have not heard of wine," says Auckland drug squad detective Graeme Porter. "We have enough problems with wine and students let alone putting cannabis in it." Norml news editor Chris Fowlie said the recipe had been sent by a "keen reader". "For those who try it, caution is advised. You should always go easy when combining alcohol and cannabis and moderation is the key," he said.David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets