UK: Police chief calls for UK drinking age to be raised
A police chief has called for the legal drinking age to be raised due to a prevalence of anti-social behaviour and violence among teenage drinkers across the UK.
Cheshire chief constable Peter Fahy, cited on the BBC website today (15 August), said: "Alcohol is too cheap and too readily available and is too strong. Young people cannot handle it."
Fahy decided to appeal for the legal drinking age to move from 18 to 21 after three youths were charged with the murder of a father-of-three who approached them while they were out drinking.
The chief constable said that most parents abdicated responsibility and need to have a "sense of social responsibility" as must people who sell alcohol to young people, or "those who promote alcohol as glamorous."
Fahy added: "We are doing everything we can, within our resources and powers, but it is not enough," he said.
Anti-social behaviour linked to alcohol abuse has once again grabbed the headlines in the UK. But Chris Losh believes that while the industry has made great strides with regard to social responsibilit...
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
Growth for wine in emerging markets, the possibility that European wine producers will regain some ground on the New World, and continued consumer interest in healthier drinks are among the many forec...
Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp (Sabeco) has seen its IPO fall short of the company's target....
The head of Vin & Sprit's spirits division has said that the current global economic uncertainty should not affect the unit in 2008....
Radico Khaitan has posted a healthy leap in quarterly net profit....
A drink claiming to be the world's first active pre-tox drink has begun a listing in the UK....
Sales of alcohol in Norway rose slightly last year, according to the latest figures from the country's retail monopoly....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets