SWEDEN: PM chases alcohol duty cut – report
The Swedish Prime Minister is to push for a reduction in alcohol excise duty, according to local reports. Speaking to Svenska Dagbladet, Goran Persson said yesterday (16 August) that he would demand the reduction by the autumn.
Persson stopped short, however, of specifying how big a reduction he would hope to achieve.
Sweden has seen the alcohol black market damage sales domestically, following the accession of the neighbouring Baltic states, where alcohol is taxed at a far lower rate, to the EU last year.
Earlier this year, the Swedish Government commissioner and MP, Kent Harstedt, proposed a 40% cut in alcohol taxes.
The alcohol tax in Sweden currently stands at some SEK200 (US$26.5) per litre of alcohol. In comparison, alcohol taxes in neighbouring Finland stand at SEK100 per litre and in Denmark at some SEK75.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Britvic's H1 Performance by Region - Focus
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends