AUSTRALIA: PLW profits fall 29%
The Barossa Valley winemaker Peter Lehmann Wines said yesterday that the company had seen its profits after tax fall some 29% to A$3.83m. The company said 2003 was a year in which the company "experienced its greatest challenge since its formation in 1993," namely the takeover battle between Allied Domecq and Hess Group for the business.
Revenues were up 13% to A$52.7m but basic earnings per share were also down 30% to 10.14 cents.
It added though that despite the disruption of the takeover battle, the company had increased its total branded bottled sales by 23% in volume and 15% in revenue.
Total exports were up32%, with revenues up 22%. Exports now account for 62% of the brand's total case sales.
But, the company warned that with a record national harvest in 2004, it was flet that there will be further downward pressure on grape price, although this should be primarily confined to red varieties.
The company confirmed that it would be delisted from the Australian stock exchange on 12 October.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Cautious optimism is probably the best way to describe today's press reaction to Pernod's friendly bid for Allied Domecq....
Spirits firm Allied Domecq has agreed to a takeover bid from smaller rival Pernod Ricard, subject to agreement from Allied shareholders....
Allied Domecq last night accepted Pernod Ricard's offer to buy the UK-based drinks giant....
Allied Domecq today delivered a 7% increase in first half group profits before tax to £285m. Earnings per share were up 7% to 19.2p, turnover that was flat at £1,700m....
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts