UK: Plans for Shetland distillery made public
Plans have been lodged to open a new “boutique” single malt whisky distillery on the Shetland Isles.
Industry veteran Stuart Nickerson has lodged a planning application with Shetland Islands Council to convert a former RAF site in Saxa Vord, Unst, into a distillery and maturation warehouse. The application, lodged late last month, is under the name The Shetland Distillery Company.
Nickerson, the former MD of Glenglassaugh Distillery Company, said on Twitter: “Still at (the) early stages but we hope to have a distillery on Unst.”
If the plans are approved, it will become Scotland's most northerly distillery. A decision on the application is due by 11 November.
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research