UK: Plans for Shetland distillery made public
Plans have been lodged to open a new “boutique” single malt whisky distillery on the Shetland Isles.
Industry veteran Stuart Nickerson has lodged a planning application with Shetland Islands Council to convert a former RAF site in Saxa Vord, Unst, into a distillery and maturation warehouse. The application, lodged late last month, is under the name The Shetland Distillery Company.
Nickerson, the former MD of Glenglassaugh Distillery Company, said on Twitter: “Still at (the) early stages but we hope to have a distillery on Unst.”
If the plans are approved, it will become Scotland's most northerly distillery. A decision on the application is due by 11 November.
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Diageo's future brighter than present suggests
- Diageo's Q1 Results by Region
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- United Spirits sees Q1 net loss
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Diageo puts Beckham centre stage in Haig Club ad
- TWE unveils Penfolds range after CEO's "bold move"