UK: Plans for first Bombay Sapphire distillery confirmed
Click through to see an artist's impression of the new facility
Bacardi-owned Bombay Sapphire has confirmed plans to open a new "multi-million dollar" distillery and visitor centre in the UK next year - its first standalone production site.
The site, in Laverstoke Mill in Hampshire, will be renovated from a derelict mill and is set to open in Autumn 2013. Planning permission was granted in February and building work is underway, the company said. Annual capacity at the site will be "up to 13.5m litres".
Bombay Sapphire is currently produced in Warrington at a site owned by G&J Greenall.
Earlier today (24 July), John Burke, Bombay Sapphire's global category director told just-drinks: "Bombay Sapphire has experienced great success in recent years... it is therefore the right time for the brand to establish its own production site to enable continued growth and success."
The company is not disclosing an exact spend on the project.
An extra 25 full-time jobs are expected to be created as a result of the new site.
The company is also aiming to attract around 100,000 visitors a year to the facility.
Click play, below, to view a company-produced video about the project.
This month, Ian Buxton takes a look at an idea that, should it come to fruition, will send shockwaves through the Scotch whisky industry. In Scotland, he notes, there seems to be water, water everywhe...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- US drives Cognac export turnaround - figures
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research