SPAIN: Plan to ban alcohol ads put on hold
Spain has postponed plans to restrict alcohol advertising just months before the country's elections.
The Spanish government has shelved a law that was looking to curb advertising of beverage alcohol to help fight under-age drinking in the country.
Spain's wine industry has been fighting the plans arguing that wine is part of Spanish culture, is beneficial to human health and should be exempt from the legislation.
Ministers announced yesterday (20 February) that the Spanish government had put the plans on hold after failing to reach a compromise with wine industry officials.
The Institut del Cava, a body representing Spain's Cava producers welcomed the Government's decision.
"We are very satisfied. The law was not the best way of finding a solution to the problem," Maria del Mar Torres, director of the Institut del Cava, told just-drinks today. "The best way is to educate minors to teach them how to consume in a moderate way."
She added: "Wine is considered as part of our culture and part of our gastronomy. It has to be considered apart from other drinks."
The global market for premium beer is set for further strong growth over the coming six years, according to a recent report published by just-drinks, but there will be marked variations in the growth ...
Premiumisation, health concerns and demographic shifts are likely to be among the key factors influencing the strategies of beverage alcohol companies over the next five years, according to a report f...
The California State Board of Equalization (BOE), under the leadership of State Controller John Chiang, has set in motion a rulemaking procedure which would tax RTDs as distilled spirits rather than a...
A police chief has called for the legal drinking age to be raised due to a prevalence of anti-social behaviour and violence among teenage drinkers across the UK....
Finland's brewing and soft drinks industry federation has warned the Government that plans for a significant hike in taxes on beer, spirits and wine will impact negatively on profits and expand demand...
Almost three-quarters of UK wine consumers are unaware of how many units of alcohol a bottle of wine contains, according to recent research....
The Distilled Spirits Industry Council of Australia (DSICA) has issued a statement distancing the industry from statements appearing in the media recently attributed to an "industry insider", which su...
The US drinks industry has been given a pat on the back for curbing the level of alcohol advertising which is viewed by the country's youth....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Coca-Cola Enterprises Q1 2016 results - Preview
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India