S AFRICA: Pioneer Foods sets up move to buy KWV
Pioneer Foods has laid its cards out in front of KWV
Pioneer Foods has made a "firm expression of interest" to acquire wine and spirits group KWV Holdings.
The South African firm, which began lining up a bid for KWV last month, confirmed yesterday (2 December) that it is looking to buy KWV for ZAR12 a share, valuing the wine and brandy maker at ZAR827.8m (US$120m). The offer represents a 10.9% premium on the weighted average trading price of KWV's shares in the 30 days up to 13 October, when the company first indicated talks were taking place.
Pioneer is planning to acquire KWV partly with shares and partly with cash. A quarter of the total consideration, equal to ZAR206.9m, will be settled in Pioneer shares on the securities exchange, with the rest in cash.
A "number of conditions" now have to be looked at before Pioneer considers making a "firm intention offer" as prescribed by the local securities regulation code, the company told the Johannesburg Stock Exchange yesterday.
KWV has subsequently appointed a sub-committee of directors to ensure appropriate governance will be followed, and to consider a possible firm intent offer. An independent expert has also been commissioned to provide impartial advice should the proposed transaction proceed.
The two firms already share three directors who sit on both boards - Jannie Mouton, Antonie Jacobs and KWV's chairman, Thys du Toit.
KWV and distributor Arvid Nordquist have agreed a five-year extension of their pan-Nordic wine and spirits contract....
KWV and the Monarq group, which operates in the Caribbean and Latin America, have drawn up a strategic agreement to distribute KWV's portfolio of wines and brandies in the region....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages