SOUTH AFRICA: Pinotage leads the way in South African wine awards
Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 1999 walked away with the Champion Double Gold award at this year's growing South African fine wine competition, The Michelangelo International Wine Awards.just-drinks.com was privileged to be on the judging panel and the Kaapzicht wine is a testament to the growing quality of what many international industry followers believe to be the variety that can lead South Africa to the forefront of the world stage.Indeed, Pinotage wines scooped nine gold medals, more than any other variety, from the competition. The other varieties to show particularly strongly were Sauvignon Blanc (seven gold medals) and the Shiraz (seven gold medals).Of the 500 wines on display at the awards, the standard was generally high. However, as a snapshot of the state of the South African industry the competition revealed there is still plenty of work to be done in the vineyard if South Africa is to compete with rivals such as Chile and Australia.Too often the fruit in the wines was green and there was still a tendency to over-oak products to hide mistakes at the vineyard level. This was particularly true of the red blends.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018