SOUTH AFRICA: Pinotage leads the way in South African wine awards
Kaapzicht Steytler Pinotage 1999 walked away with the Champion Double Gold award at this year's growing South African fine wine competition, The Michelangelo International Wine Awards.just-drinks.com was privileged to be on the judging panel and the Kaapzicht wine is a testament to the growing quality of what many international industry followers believe to be the variety that can lead South Africa to the forefront of the world stage.Indeed, Pinotage wines scooped nine gold medals, more than any other variety, from the competition. The other varieties to show particularly strongly were Sauvignon Blanc (seven gold medals) and the Shiraz (seven gold medals).Of the 500 wines on display at the awards, the standard was generally high. However, as a snapshot of the state of the South African industry the competition revealed there is still plenty of work to be done in the vineyard if South Africa is to compete with rivals such as Chile and Australia.Too often the fruit in the wines was green and there was still a tendency to over-oak products to hide mistakes at the vineyard level. This was particularly true of the red blends.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer