AUS: Phylloxera found at Foster’s vineyard
Grapevine insect pest Phylloxera has been found at a 32-hectare Foster's Group vineyard in Australia's Yarra Valley.
Foster's notified the Victorian Department of Primary Industries and Resources (DPI) following the discovery on Friday (1 December). Its presence at the vineyard was confirmed today (5 December) following a DPI examination.
Strict quarantine restrictions are in place on the affected vineyard, and vines from infected areas will be removed and destroyed, subject to ongoing consultation with the DPI.
Rectification costs associated with the affected vines are not expected to be material to Foster's, the company said.
It is not known how the pest came to be present in the previously Phylloxera-free region. The DPI will lead a review of Yarra Valley vineyards over the coming weeks to determine the extent of infestation.
Phylloxera feeds only on the roots of non-resistant grapevine root-stock causing gradual deterioration of vine health.
However, the DPI said that the pest does not affect the quality of wines and grapes, or present any risk to people or livestock.
Phylloxera is present in isolated winegrowing regions of Victoria and New South Wales including the King Valley, Nagambie and Rutherglen in north-east Victoria and areas around Sydney in New South Wales.
Given that drought and frost have all but eliminated Australia’s wine glut, it is tempting to regard this natural intervention as good news for the wine industry but, writes Chris Losh, in reality the...
Blended Scotch whisky producers are banking on emerging markets to provide the growth to offset flat or declining sales elsewhere but a new report from just-drinks suggests this cannot be expected as ...
Foster's and Carlsberg have secured a brewing tie-up in Australia....
Foster's has lined up an addition to the Australian mid-strength beer market....
Scottish & Newcastle has had an "encouraging start" to 2007, according to the brewer's chairman....
Foster's Group has sold off its wine clubs and services group in Australia, New Zealand and Japan....
Foster's has completed a substantial share buy-back....
V&S Group is set to beef up its distribution network in the Nordic region with the acquisition of Norwegian wine and spirits distributor Amundsen....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends