FRANCE: Perrier resolution edges nearer
Nestle Waters will launch its Perrier cost-cutting scheme after its main trade union dropped opposition to the plan. The unit said today (29 September) that, while the Communist-linked CGT union had dropped its opposition to the scheme, it had stopped short of signing up to the plan.
Nestle Waters wants to offer early retirement to some workers to help boost productivity. Two other trade unions have agreed to the proposal, but the CGT could hold up its implementation.
"We are welcoming the CGT's decision to drop opposition, but regret its refusal to sign the accord," a spokesman for Nestle Waters said.
"If we have difficulties in the implementation and don't reach our objectives, there is no reason for us to modernise and invest in the plants and maybe we'll get back to selling Perrier," the spokesman warned.
The CGT had said on Monday (27 September) that it would have to negotiate guarantees for investments to modernise the plants but Nestle said that it had no incentive to put money in unless it could go ahead with its restructuring first.
The stalemate ended after French Finance Minister Nicolas Sarkozy intervened in an attempt to resolve the row.
Nestle had been talking to the unions for months as it tries to boost Perrier's performance, resulting in a proposal earlier this year to allow employees aged 55 years or older to retire early by 2007.
While the overall market for tea in the UK has declined by some 12% over the past five years, iced tea consumption is on the rise. Annette Sessions reports on the potential for iced tea in the UK and ...
Coca-Cola announced last week that it was taking over full control of its US water joint venture, CCDA Waters, buying out its partner, Danone. However, speculation over the poor performance of the CCD...
Swiss multinational Nestlé has reported a robust set of figures for the first nine months of 2005 with organic sales up 5.8%....
Nestle Waters Direct Portugal is to by the Portuguese office delivery water company Peyroteo & Caravela, it was reported this week....
Nestle Waters is to bottle its Contrex and Vittel water brands at the same plant in France, according to local press reports....
Nestea, the tea brand developed jointly by Coca-Cola and Nestle, has announced that it is to introduce Nestea Ice, already available in the Asia-Pacific region, in the US....
Nestle Waters has bought a majority stake in a new joint venture in Algeria....
Nestle Waters Spain has inaugurated a new water plant in Herrera del Duque near Badajoz, western Spain, a company spokesman has confirmed to just-drinks....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research