CANADA: Pernod takes Corby’s Tia Maria stake
Pernod Ricard and Corby Distilleries have struck a deal in Canada involving the transfer of Corby's stake in Tia Maria to Pernod in return for brand representation gains for the Canadian drinks group.
The C$105m (US$91.2m) agreement sees Corby gain representation of Pernod brands in the country by selling its 45% stake in Tia Maria to the world's second largest wine and spirits group.
Under the agreement, Corby will continue to represent Pernod's brands in Canada for up to 15 years and take over the management of Pernod's Canadian business interests. Pernod will continue producing Corby`s owned-brands at its production facility in Walkerville, Ontario.
Corby will also acquire the international rights to Lamb's Rum and the Canadian rights to Seagram's Coolers as part of the deal.
André Hémard, previously COO of Pernod Ricard Canada, will be appointed COO of Corby. Armando de Medeiros, previously president and CEO of Pernod Ricard Canada, will be promoted to the position of CEO of another Pernod subsidiary in the near future.
Pernod Ricard Americas chairman and CEO, Michel Bord, said today (8 March): "This transaction brings together the best of two extraordinary organisations to the benefit of liquor boards, licensees and consumers in every region of the country.
"This reorganisation reflects our corporate approach of having strong local roots combined with a global reach and is supported by our common commitment to excellence and more precisely to being the supplier of choice for all of our customers."
Pernod, which owns 46% of Corby, expects to close the transaction by 2 July.
The transaction is expected to add approximately C$24m to Corby's revenue, in addition to approximately C$6m of revenue from Canadian representation of the former Allied brands, now owned by Pernod.
As a result of the transaction, Corby will gain Canadian representation of Pernod brands Chivas Regal and the Glenlivet scotches, Jameson Irish whiskey, Havana Club rum, Jacob's Creek and Wyndham Estate wines.
Corby president and CEO of Krystyna Hoeg said: "We are pleased that discussions with Pernod Ricard have resulted in a combined strategic approach to the Canadian market.
"We now have responsibility for the management of every aspect of our business, from sales and marketing to production and supply chain management. And, most importantly, we have strengthened our portfolio in all categories - spirits, wine and coolers."
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends