FRANCE: Pernod Ricard's Q1 adds to Asia slowdown fears - analyst
Investec noted Pernod's cautious tone on Asia
Earlier today (25 October), the French firm reported a first-quarter global sales rise of 5%, but pointed to "more moderate" growth in Asia's emerging markets. The company saw an organic sales uplift of 11% in Asia/Rest of the World.
Depite the double-digit rise, analysts Investec said it viewed the results as a "miss" on estimates that will "compound market fears on a slowdown in Asia".
It noted that Pernod said China is a "less favourable environment", while the Scotch whisky category has seen a slowdown in South Korea and Thailand, which are "structurally challenging markets". Investec noted this as "quite a change of tone to FY12" from Pernod.
However, UBS said in a note that Pernod's Asia/ROW performance was in line with its estimates and China was up 18% year-on-year, against tough comparisons.
Meanwhile, Investec noted "cautious" FY guidance from Pernod, adding: "Whether Pernod can repeat its tradtional trick of upgrading guidance at H1 remains to be seen".
In this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's attempts to reduce alcohol harm and promote responsible consumption. Part one of this four-part briefing consid...
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper consider how the future looks for the drinks industry's attempts to deal with alcohol harm and responsible consumption....
This weekend marked the fifth anniversary of Pernod Ricard's acquisition of Vin & Sprit and the Absolut vodka brand. A lot has changed since those heady days of 2008, so how does the race for - and pu...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research