FRANCE: Pernod Ricard's Q1 adds to Asia slowdown fears - analyst
Investec noted Pernod's cautious tone on Asia
Earlier today (25 October), the French firm reported a first-quarter global sales rise of 5%, but pointed to "more moderate" growth in Asia's emerging markets. The company saw an organic sales uplift of 11% in Asia/Rest of the World.
Depite the double-digit rise, analysts Investec said it viewed the results as a "miss" on estimates that will "compound market fears on a slowdown in Asia".
It noted that Pernod said China is a "less favourable environment", while the Scotch whisky category has seen a slowdown in South Korea and Thailand, which are "structurally challenging markets". Investec noted this as "quite a change of tone to FY12" from Pernod.
However, UBS said in a note that Pernod's Asia/ROW performance was in line with its estimates and China was up 18% year-on-year, against tough comparisons.
Meanwhile, Investec noted "cautious" FY guidance from Pernod, adding: "Whether Pernod can repeat its tradtional trick of upgrading guidance at H1 remains to be seen".
In this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper looks at the alcoholic drinks industry's attempts to reduce alcohol harm and promote responsible consumption. Part one of this four-part briefing consid...
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper consider how the future looks for the drinks industry's attempts to deal with alcohol harm and responsible consumption....
This weekend marked the fifth anniversary of Pernod Ricard's acquisition of Vin & Sprit and the Absolut vodka brand. A lot has changed since those heady days of 2008, so how does the race for - and pu...
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report