FRANCE: Pernod Ricard's new guard on track for growth - analysts
Pernod Ricard's Chivas brand has found strong growth
The group posted a 9% rise in full-year net profits today (30 August), boosted by sales growth in all regions except France. The price/mix growth for Pernod's top 14 strategic brands was 6%, with leading brand Chivas posting 11% growth and Royal Salute 23%.
But while the appointment of Alexandre Ricard to the roles of Pernod Ricard's CEO and chairman from January 2015 will play well in the market, analysts Nomura said, operating profit (EBIT) was “slightly light, given investment”.
The miss was due to higher costs from establishing distribution networks in new markets Vietnam and Sub-Saharan Africa and increased marketing spend, Nomura said.
Analysts at Investec said “question marks will remain” on the Absolut brand's relatively weaker 3% price/mix momentum but praised Pernod's “impressive” on-going growth in Asia and a firm top-line in Americas.
Pernod's Asia performance also impressed Nomura, which said investor concerns that the company was not active enough in regional acquisitions are overdone.
“Although we would accept that M&A has become a Diageo story for now,” the analysts added.
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018