Product Launch - US: Pernod Ricard's Malibu Island Spiced
Click through to view an image of the brand
Category - Spirits, flavoured rum, coconut and spice, 30% abv
Available - From now
Location - US on- and off-trade
Price - RRP of US$16.99 per 75cl bottle. Also available in 5cl, 37.5cl, 1-litre and 1.75-litre bottles
Distribution - Pernod Ricard
Pernod Ricard's US unit has unveiled a new low-calorie, spiced variant of its rum liqueur brand Malibu.
Malibu Island Spiced combines the core brand's blend of Caribbean rum and coconut liqueur with light spices, smoked vanilla, cinnamon and Truvia zero-calorie sweetener, the company said.
Lisa McCann, Malibu's brand director, said the launch aims to "addresses the growing demand among adult women for cocktails that taste great and offer the perfect balance between sweetness and strength without packing on the calories".
She noted that 66% of Malibu consumers are women.
Pernod said the launch will be accompanied by an "aggressive" digital and social media marketing campaign and retail and on-premise trials.
ENTERS SPICED SEGMENT WITH FIRST LOWER
New York, NY (DATE) – Today, Malibu®, the number one selling Caribbean Rum with coconut liqueur and leader in product innovation in the rum category, enters the spiced rum segment in bold and innovative style with the launch of Malibu® Island Spiced – the first lower calorie, spiced option to appear on retail shelves and back bars throughout the country.
Malibu Island Spiced combines Malibu’s signature blend of Caribbean rum and coconut liqueur with light spices, smoked vanilla, cinnamon and a touch of natural sweetness with Truvia®* zero-calorie sweetener. The result is a lower calorie, full-flavored spiced rum alternative perfect for social, onthe-go women who seek low calorie drink options that don’t sacrifice flavor.
“Nearly half of spiced rum drinkers are women,” noted Lisa McCann, Brand Director for Malibu, Pernod Ricard USA. “But most spiced rum brands communication is directed to men. Malibu understands women and is actively talking to this increasingly important segment – 66% of Malibu shoppers are women. Malibu Island Spiced addresses the growing demand among adult women for cocktails that taste great and offer the perfect balance between sweetness and strength without packing on the calories. We are excited to enter the growing spiced segment and be first-to-market with a lower calorie alternative. It’s a double win for Malibu.”
Malibu is supporting the launch of Island Spiced with an aggressive digital and social media marketing plan as well as retail and on-premise activation aimed at generating interest and trial among adult women consumers.
Malibu Island Spiced, 30% ABV and 70 calories/serving, will be available in 1.75L, 1L, 750ml, 375ml and 50ml sizes and will retail for a suggested price of $16.99/750ml.
Original source: Company release
As SPI Group looks to weather a boycott of Stolichnaya in the US, Chris Mercer considers what steps a drinks company should take if - or when - a crisis hits....
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports. ...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends