CZECH: Pernod Ricard's Jan Becher takes break as spirits ban bites
The ban on spirits sales in Czech has hit production at Jan Becher
Jan Becher confirmed today (19 September) that it will not produce spirits either today or tomorrow. Despite the continuation of exports, Jan Becher, which became part of Pernod in 1997, decided to close its production facilities after neighbouring Poland and Slovakia prohibited the importation of spirits from Czech.
Twenty-three Czechs have died this month after consuming liquor that contained industrial methanol.
Late last week, Czech health minister Leos Heger declared a ban on all drinks with alcohol content of 20% or more that is expected to last for at least another few days.
Meanwhile, the UK's Food Standards Agency today advised people travelling to, or recently returned from, Czech to "steer clear of locally-produced hard spirits".
There's a seminal moment in the film Manhattan when Woody Allen turns to his girlfriend and says: "Relationships are like sharks: they have to move forwards in order to survive. And what we have on ou...
What do Bacardi, Diageo and Pernod Ricard have in common? Aside from the obvious, Ian Buxton proffers that they share the same problem when it comes to Bourbon, and that's their lack of it....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends