GLOBAL: Pernod Ricard's growth potential brighter than Diageo's - analyst
Pernod is benefitting from the growth of premium Cognac in China
In a client note today (7 January), Bernstein Research analyst Trevor Stirling said that Diageo has the “upper hand” in Scotch whisky, particularly in LatAm, but that Pernod benefits from very strong profitable growth from premium Cognac in China. Stirling added that Pernod has “lower exposure to the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain) in Europe”.
“Hence, Pernod Ricard offers slightly superior long-term top-line growth, whilst Diageo offers more operating leverage in the short-medium,” Stirling said.
“Overall, we have a slight preference for Pernod Ricard given current relative valuation and the fact we believe Pernod Ricard's growth model is perhaps slightly more top-line oriented.”
Concluding, Stirling said that, overall, Bernstein has a “positive long-term stance” on the European beverages sector, including brewers.
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future