GLOBAL: Pernod Ricard's growth potential brighter than Diageo's - analyst
Pernod is benefitting from the growth of premium Cognac in China
In a client note today (7 January), Bernstein Research analyst Trevor Stirling said that Diageo has the “upper hand” in Scotch whisky, particularly in LatAm, but that Pernod benefits from very strong profitable growth from premium Cognac in China. Stirling added that Pernod has “lower exposure to the PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain) in Europe”.
“Hence, Pernod Ricard offers slightly superior long-term top-line growth, whilst Diageo offers more operating leverage in the short-medium,” Stirling said.
“Overall, we have a slight preference for Pernod Ricard given current relative valuation and the fact we believe Pernod Ricard's growth model is perhaps slightly more top-line oriented.”
Concluding, Stirling said that, overall, Bernstein has a “positive long-term stance” on the European beverages sector, including brewers.
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research