GLOBAL: Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers readies Scotch age campaign
Chivas Brothers will focus on the age statement of Scotch whiskies
The division announced the campaign, entitled 'The Age Matters', at a press briefing at its London headquarters today (28 June).
The push, which initially launches in the travel retail channel before moving into domestic markets, is a result of consumer research conducted for Chivas, which highlights a low understanding of what an age statement on Scotch actually means. A survey of 2,000 consumers in nine markets, including all of the BRICM nations, showed that only 10% of them knew that the number on an aged product showed the age of the youngest whisky that has gone into the blend.
Included in the campaign is point-of-sale materials, advertising and public relations, with the use of promoters on stand to inform consumers about the definition of an age statement. A label will also be used on bottles across Chivas' Scotch portfolio, which includes Ballantine's, Chivas Regal, The Glenlivet and Royal Salute.
Financial details behind the promotion were not disclosed.
“The revelation that so many existing whisky drinkers do not understand that the age statement refers to (the) youngest age of the whisky shows that there is an opportunity for us to inform them,” said Chivas' CEO and chairman, Christian Porta.
“In an age when consumers of luxury goods increasingly demand transparency and authenticity from brands, it is vital that we empower consumers with knowledge, so that they fully understand the value of what they are buying.”
Porta downplayed the generic appearance of the campaign visual, which can be seen to the right, highlighting instead Chivas' market leadership in “luxury Scotch whisky”.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' review of 2010, Olly Wehring takes a look at what made the wine headlines this year....
Our penultimate part of the 2010 review of the year affords our spirits commentator, Richard Woodard, to look back at the last 12 months for his specialised subject....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2010....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces on just-drinks in 2010....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Beam Suntory to invest US$1bn in Bourbon
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends