FRANCE: Pernod Ricard warns over weak economy
Pernod, which has previously remained steadfastly optimistic about its ability to weather weakening economic conditions, said today (18 September) that profit growth would be affected should there be "a severe deterioration in the global business environment".
Its warning today came as it announced that net profit crept up 1% to EUR840m (US$1.2bn) for the year to the end of June.
In its outlook, the French wine and spirits giant said it expected organic profit growth of 8% over the next year. Sales were expected to rise in the low to mid-single digits, it added.
Pernod's conditional profit forecast follows several days of turmoil on financial markets, which has seen Lehman Bros, the fourth largest investment bank in the US, file for bankruptcy, and AIG, the largest US insurance group, rescued from collapse by emergency government aid.
The group confirmed a 2% sales rise for its full-year, lifted by its major spirits brands and emerging markets in Asia.
It also said net debt was likely to increase in the first half of the year, due to EUR59m in compensation that the firm has agreed to pay in order to exit the Maxxium Worldwide distribution venture from 1 October.
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Pernod Ricard has announced the launch of a Brazilian rum variant of its multiple spirit-category Seagram's brand in the US....
Pernod Ricard has lined up the launch of yet another flavour for its Absolut vodka portfolio in the US....
Two UK drinks containing vodka are being forced to re-brand following a complaint under the Portman Group's code of practice....
Pernod Ricard-owned The Absolut Company has launched a responsible drinking campaign....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Corby Distilleries has updated its representation agreements with the SPI Group, C&C International and Beam Global Spirits & Wine in Canada....
Pernod Ricard has lined up an addition to its Seagram's Twisted Gin brand in the US....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends