GLOBAL: Pernod Ricard, United Spirits share spoils in best-selling brands list
The report offers a snapshot of the global spirits market
Euromonitor International's 'Millionaires' Club', now in its fifth year, lists brands that sell 1m or more nine-litre cases a year globally. This year's chart, released earlier this month, saw a record 180 brands making the list.
South Korean sojo-producer Jinro retained its postion at the top of the poll, although its sales slipped 4.5% to 61.8m in 2011, according to the listing, produced by Euromonitor in partnership with trade publication Drinks International. Second was Diageo's Smirnoff vodka, which saw sales rise 1.2% to 24.7m 9-litre cases.
Pernod added one brand to the list, with its local Brazilian vodka Orloff, while United Sprits added a new gin, Carew Dry, and a premium brandy, McDowell's VSOP.
Domestic and local brands increased their showing on the list, hitting 97, up from 93 last year. The number of international brands increased to 60 from 57, with overall volume growth of 2% in 2011, according to Euromonitor International's research. The number of regional brands fell to 19.
The report also highlights the growing premiumisation being seen in emerging markets through the strong growth of more premium international spirits brands and categories, such as vodka and blended Scotch, at the expense of cheaper local brands.
"Companies with an international presence and a strong focus on emerging markets continue to secure growth," says Jeremy Cunnington, alcoholic drinks senior company analyst at Euromonitor International.
"This does not mean, however, that domestic or local brands in emerging markets are not performing."
But, he added: "While emerging markets do offer international spirits brands significant opportunities for growth, their owners should not ignore their mature core markets."
To read the report, click here.
Part two of this four-part management briefing on environmental sustainability in the wine sector looks at how the larger players play their part. ...
A new trade body representing spirits producers in Europe has been established following the merger of the European Spirits Organisation (CEPS) and the European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD). ...
A new whiskey distillery in Ireland - the first in 47 years - is set to officially start production this week. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report