GLOBAL: Pernod Ricard toasts buoyant H1, despite "soft" Europe
- Half-year net profits up by 20% to EUR820m (US$1.07bn)
- Net sales rise by 8% to EUR4.6bn
- Operating profits from recurring operations up by 14% to EUR1.38bn
- Strong underlying performance boosted by Chinese New Year, French stockpiling
Pernod Ricard has lifted its full-year profits guidance after emerging markets drove the group to strong sales and profits growth in its first-half.
Pernod Ricard said today (16 February) that net sales for the six months to the end of December reached EUR4.6bn (US$6bn). Emerging markets across Asia continued to drive growth, with Jameson leading a 5% increase in organic net sales in the US.
Sales were also inflated by extra demand for premium Cognac ahead of Chinese New Year. A weak performance in Europe, meanwhile, was flattered by a mass distributor buy-in of Ricard pastis in France, ahead of the January's 14% increase in excise tax on spirits. Excluding France, sales in Western Europe fell by 2%.
Pernod translated its sales performance in to a 14% increase in operating profits from recurring operations, to EUR1.38bn. Net sales increased by 20% to EUR820m.
This prompted group CEO Pierre Pringuet to raise the full-year forecast for growth in organic profits from recurring operations "close to 8%". This is up two percentage points from guidance given after the first quarter.
Pringuet said that the results "demonstrate the strength of our business model", highlighting the French group's premium focus and wholly-owned global distribution network. He also flagged Pernod's progress on reducing debt, with net debt to EBITDA expected to reach a ratio of 3.9 by the end of its current fiscal year. The ratio was 4.4 last year.
For the company's announcement, click here.
The Anti-Corruption Bureau in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh has issued notices to United Spirits, Pernod Ricard and SABMiller in an ongoing probe into retail syndicates....
Pernod Ricard boasts the most brands in a list of the top 50 international spirits brands in 2011, but Diageo leads the pack once again with Smirnoff topping the tree....
Deutsch Family Wine & Spirits has appointed a long-serving Pernod Ricard USA executive as its new CFO. ...
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends