FRANCE: Pernod Ricard to cut advert spend in H2
Pernod, which last week reported a 8% and 5% rises in organic operating profit and sales respectively in the six months ended 31 December, has said that it plans to cut advertising spend in its second half.
Advert spend rose as a percentage of sales by 0.5%, to 17.3%, in the first half, compared to the same period last year.
Analsyts have said that Pernod may boost operating profit in its second half by cutting ad spend, partly as a consequence of lower media rates in the UK and US, and allowing this to "flow through" onto the firm's balance sheet. This would potentially help to insulate the group against weakening economic conditions.
Pernod CEO Pierre Pringuet told just-drinks that it was possible a reduction in ad spend could boost operating profit in the second half, but he said it was too early to speculate. He said that Pernod, which recently unveiled a EUR50m campaign for Chivas Regal Scotch whisky, still has "the highest percentage (spend/sales ratio) in the industry".
Pernod rival Diageo said last week that it had already benefited from double-digit falls in television advertising rates in the UK and US in its first half. Diageo's advertising spend as a percentage of sales fell by just under 1%, mirroring a rise in operating margin.
Analyst group Bernstein said in a note this week that Diageo's ad spend savings may have contributed 2% to the firm's 6% organic profit growth in its first half.
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh declined to comment on the specific contribution of reduced ad spend when asked by just-drinks.
Pernod Ricard USA has today (11 August) launched its off-premise value added pack (VAP) line up for the company's core wine and spirit brands for the next season....
The last few weeks has seen a large number of companies report their interim results, an opportunity to see whether the performance across a wide range of drinks companies from around the world suppor...
Pernod Ricard is to launch its latest marketing campaign for Absolut vodka in the UK, named Absolut Rock and including a limited edition bottle....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard is to expand the presence of its super premium Beefeater 24 gin in the US, following healthy early sales....
Campari has seen first half profits boosted by lower spend on advertising and promotion, following a drop in media rates in several key markets....
Davide Campari-Milano has reported flat net profits for the first half of this year, as destocking continued to take its toll on the company....
Pernod Ricard has announced its newest global advertising campaign for Malibu, Radio Maliboom Boom, as part of its ongoing "Get Your Island On" promotion....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research