UK: Pernod Ricard targets 2015 for new Scotch distillery
The new Scotch distillery will complete in 2015, said Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers unit
The company, which last year announced plans to invest GBP40m (US$62.2m) per year in its Chivas Brothers premium Scotch and gin division, said late last year that it was looking to construct a new malt whisky distillery in Scotland. Pernod selected the site of its silent Imperial Distillery on Speyside for the facility.
In London today (19 February), the communications director at Chivas Brothers, Vanessa Wright, said that the unit is “looking towards 2015 for completion”.
“We're going through the planning process at the moment,” she said.
Wright was unable to detail when production will begin or what the capacity will be. “We're looking at all the different options for the site,” she said. “It will be a significant capacity.”
As emerging markets continue to soak up Scotch, Pernod increased capacity at its existing distilleries in Scotland last year by 25%, Wright noted.
The Imperial Distillery, which has been inactive since 1998 and was acquired by Chivas Brothers in 2005, is located on the banks of the River Spey near Carron.
As SPI Group looks to weather a boycott of Stolichnaya in the US, Chris Mercer considers what steps a drinks company should take if - or when - a crisis hits....
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports. ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research