FRANCE/SPAIN: Pernod Ricard still confident in Havana Club row
The French company, which jointly owns the Havana Club Cuban rum brand with state-owned Cuba Ron, was responding to news late last week that the Spanish Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal from Bacardi over the country's ruling in favour of Pernod in 2007.
"The decision of the Supreme Court merely reflects that the required formalities to accept reviewing the appeal have been met, without having analysed and considered at this stage any of the merits of the case," a spokesperson for Pernod said today (27 July).
"Pernod Ricard remains confident that the Spanish Supreme Court will confirm the judgements of both the First Instance Court and the Madrid Provincial Court, whereby the claims of Bacardi and members of the Arechabala family have been entirely rejected."
Bacardi, which holds the trademark rights to Havana Club in the US, has long claimed that the brand and associated assets were illegally confiscated from its original owners - the Arechabala family - by the Cuban Government during the revolution in the country. The company acquired the recipe and Havana Club brand name from the Arechabalas in 1994.
Pernod Ricard and Diageo's pitched battle on the fairways of world golf is hotting up....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends